2-3 years PQE
Fabulous in-house opportunity for a lawyer interested in media content, freedom of expression, community attitudes, public law, policy and regulation.
- Bring your unique perspective to the table
- Interesting and varied subject matter
- Small high-functioning team
As a Legal Adviser for the Broadcasting Standards Authority, you will bring your perspective to a team which considers challenging questions relating to freedom of expression and content standards in a changing media environment.
The Broadcasting Standards Authority is a Crown entity, partly funded by government and partly by contributions from broadcasters, which determines complaints about broadcasting standards. The jurisdiction of the BSA includes television and radio.
In making its determinations, the BSA observes the rules of natural justice, and acknowledges the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
We are seeking a Legal Adviser with approximately two to three years PQE to join our small, high-functioning team. You will assist in analysing formal complaints referred to the BSA and provide advice to Board members on complaints, drafting high-quality draft decisions, providing advice on legal and BSA precedents, and peer review.
We are an inclusive workplace which welcomes applicants from all backgrounds.
To be successful in this role you will be:
- A lawyer with around two-three years post-qualification experience in a relevant area of law and a sound academic record;
- Confident and capable in articulating your views using sound reasoning, both verbally and in written form;
- Well organised, with the ability to manage a busy, varied workload;
- Detail oriented with strong analysis skills; and
- A great team player with a collaborative working style
If you are interested in what is important to New Zealanders and how standards keep pace with social change, this in-house legal role will provide you with a stimulating and challenging next step in your career.
To apply please submit your covering letter, resume and academic transcript. For a confidential discussion and more information, please call Ashna Narayan on 021 225 9974 or email Ashna.email@example.com