Personal information we collect
This statement sets out the BSA’s practices relating to the collection and use of personal information. We collect the following types of personal information in the work that we do:
- names and contact details
- content of complaints (including potentially sensitive information regarding any harm suffered) and enquiries about broadcasting standards
- other correspondence and information provided as part of the process of considering a complaint or enquiry
- personal opinions and feedback captured through research (including responses to any satisfaction surveys we issue).
We may also generate personal information including correspondence, file notes or opinions relating to the above information.
Generally we require complainants to provide personal information (such as name and contact details) in order for us to progress a complaint or enquiry.
When you visit our website, some general user information is also collected automatically (eg user internet address, search terms used, webpages accessed and date/time of website visit). We use this information (in an aggregated de-personalised form) to help us understand user requirements and improve both the website and our services. It is collected using cookies (small text files created by the website that are stored in the user’s computer to facilitate tracking of site usage).
What we do with your personal information
We will only use and share any personal information provided in the context of a complaint or enquiry for the specific purposes of:
- processing the complaint or enquiry
- review and improvement of our services (including conducting satisfaction surveys)
- conducting internal statistical analysis and meeting our reporting requirements
- complying with any legal obligation (eg under the Official Information Act).
Complainants will also be identified by their full name in the (publicly available) decisions of the BSA, unless name suppression has been granted.
Any other personal information we collect will only be used and shared:
- where necessary to carry out our statutory functions (including issuing guidance relating to broadcasting standards and encouraging the development and observance of appropriate broadcasting practices)
- where otherwise permitted or required by law
- as outlined below under “Storage and Security”.
Storage and security
We protect our data with all reasonable technical and process controls and retain personal information in compliance with the requirements of the Public Records Act 2005.
Hard copy personal information is stored securely at the BSA office.
We use some third party providers to host electronic data including as follows:
- We store most of the personal information we collect and generate electronically on cloud servers located in New Zealand and on Amazon Web Services (located in Australia). This means that personal information we hold may be transferred to or accessed from countries other than New Zealand.
- We use Acronis for back-up and recovery of email and other office applications.
- Our website is hosted on Amazon Web Services (Australia).
We take steps to ensure that any providers we use can protect the personal information they process for us. You may contact us at the details below for further information regarding any third party supplier.
Your rights and how to contact us
You have the right to ask for a copy of any personal information we hold about you, and to ask for it to be corrected if you think it is wrong. You are welcome to contact us at any time to access or update your personal information or raise any other concern about BSA activity at firstname.lastname@example.org, at 0800 366 996 or at PO Box 9213, Marion Square, Wellington 6141.