Complainants Satisfaction Survey 2019

Executive Summary: Complainants Satisfaction Survey 2019 [PDF]


The complainants’ satisfaction survey asks complainants who have had a complaint determined by the Broadcasting Standards Authority (BSA) in the period from 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019 about their level of satisfaction with the BSA’s services. The feedback is used to help BSA make improvements to its operations.

Key information regarding the 2019 survey includes:

  • A total of 50 complainants completed the survey in 2019.
  • Of the 50 respondents, 20% had their complaints upheld and the complaints of the remaining 80% were not upheld.
  • Overall, complainants are satisfied regarding the BSA’s management of the complaints process with:
    • a slight increase in the proportion who agree or strongly agree that the BSA handled their part of the complaints process well (40% vs 36% in 2017/18)
    • satisfaction ratings for:
      • telephone correspondence at 96%
      • staff professionalism at 89%
      • written correspondence at 65%
  • Almost all complainants (94%) are aware of or have used a BSA resource (eg website, code of broadcasting practice, guidance sheet).

In light of the survey results, the BSA’s areas of focus for improvement are on:

  • enhancing communication with complainants regarding complaint handling progress, timelines and procedural requirements
  • the use of simple, plain English language in BSA decisions and correspondence
  • ensuring BSA decisions clearly explain how the broadcasting standards and threshold for BSA intervention apply.