Frequently asked questions Ngā Pātai e Kaha Whiua Nei


You can contact Able, New Zealand’s television captioning and audio description service, which is funded by NZ On Air.

You may also wish to contact the responsible broadcaster.

Complaints and enquiries about the terms and conditions applying to competitions are not generally something that can be dealt with under broadcasting standards, and are best directed to the relevant broadcaster

You can make a formal complaint about the privacy standard only, directly to the BSA.

If you want to complain about other standards as well as privacy, make your formal complaint to the broadcasters.

For more information about other privacy issues see the Office of the Privacy Commissioner.

BSA does not deal with reception interference or signal issues.

You may wish to contact Radio Spectrum Management (RSM). RSM manages the radio spectrum in New Zealand and is the agency responsible for issuing licences for radio frequencies. You can contact RSM by phone on 0508 776 463 or by email at

You could also contact Kordia for any television signal issues by phone on 09 551 7000.

For problems with Freeview, contact them here.

For problems with SKY, visit their website.

We do not deal with technical issues relating to the volume or sound of movies or other broadcast programmes. We suggest you direct your concerns to the broadcaster.

We do not deal with advertisements, other than promos for programmes.

The BSA does not generally comment on whether we have received a complaint about a particular broadcast.

In most cases, formal complaints must be addressed by the broadcaster in the first instance. If a complainant is dissatisfied with the broadcaster’s response, they can then refer their complaint to the BSA (the exception is privacy and election programme complaints, which may be made directly to the BSA). If you would like further information about whether a complaint has been made about a programme , we suggest you contact the broadcaster directly.

All of the BSA’s decisions on complaints are available to view on our website here.

All of the BSA’s decisions on complaints are available to view on our website here.

You can also find out more about the complaints considered by the BSA in our Annual Reports.

The BSA is unable to provide specific advice about whether certain content might breach broadcasting standards, as this might risk pre-determining the Authority’s views if a complaint about this content were to come before it.

All of the BSA’s decisions are available on our website here and are a useful resource. The decisions contain guidance from the Authority about the standards and it may be that the Authority has considered a similar issue before.

We are also able to provide general guidance about broadcasting standards and the factors the Authority might consider when looking at broadcasting standards complaints. If you have a question, please feel free to contact us.  

Broadcasters are required by the Broadcasting Act 1989 (s30A) to send an annual return to the BSA certifying their total revenue derived from broadcasting in New Zealand. If this revenue is greater than $500,000, they must pay a broadcasting levy to the BSA.

For more information, see Broadcasting Levy

As part of the BSA’s role to oversee and develop the broadcasting standards system, we also commission and publish research.

Our research helps us understand community attitudes and expectations around broadcasting. It informs the application and development of broadcasting standards by making sure that the decisions we make reflect our community’s diverse, contemporary attitudes and opinions.

Our research also assists broadcasters to understand what the community thinks and how the standards apply.

A public consultation is when we seek the public’s views on an issue impacting the work that we do.  It may be about a proposed change to broadcasting codes or an issue relevant to broadcasting standards.

Broadcasting standards do not specifically address issues of copyright. For more information about copyright law, we suggest you visit WeCreate, or the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.